VAR Van Boekel: "I think the penalty is harsh, let's say that"

Pol van Boekel has had a tough European Championship. With criticism from all sides. Due to one penalty kick, the Dutch video assistant referee is suddenly world famous. “I have asked myself dozens of times what would have happened if I had intervened.” A silence falls. Pol van Boekel's thoughts go back a week. Back to Wembley, to the semi-final of the European Championship between England and Denmark. In extra time, referee Danny Makkelie gives a penalty to Raheem Sterling, according to many after the Englishman tumbled. That is the time for Van Boekel to intervene. The video assistant referee does not work. Harry Kane scores and England advances to the final. A cartload of criticism follows the duel. Analysts tumble over each other. There is disgrace on social media about the penalty kick given. It is not only Makkelie who has to endure it. Also, Van Boekel. He should have sent Makkelie to the screen at the side of the field. “I understand that there is criticism. But it bothers me. Especially to the people who speak nonsense. So, it is said that I, as VAR, have been sleeping. I have trouble with that.”
Van Boekel refers to the instructions of UEFA, the European football association, that the VAR may only intervene if the referee has made an obvious mistake. “That is not the case now. From one camera angle I see that there is a clear contact between defender and attacker. I think the penalty is harsh, let that be said, but I have to support the referee's decision in this case. That is the worldwide VAR protocol. Look, football is not tennis, where a ball is in or out. In football you have to deal with a gray area. I prefer to stay away from the discussion, also because Danny was the referee and not me, but I don't want to hide. I want to be open about this and explain why the VAR is doing this.” Van Boekel states that he now has 'a nice elephant skin'. ”Moreover, I feel the support of Danny and UEFA. Although it was a huge disappointment that I was not the VAR in the final between Italy and England, but only the AVAR. At first. Because I now understand. With all the pressure from outside, UEFA wanted to protect itself, me and Bjorn Kuipers before the final.”
Van Boekel has been a member of Team Kuipers for years. ,,On 7 June I got on a plane to Nyon with the aim of not coming home until 12 July. I wanted to go to the final with Bjorn and the rest of the team. That worked. My tournament was therefore successful. I also look at all the matches I have been active in. So, no less than 11 of the 51 games. Six of them I was the lead VAR. I was even assigned as a VAR for Makkelie. That was actually not the intention. That one moment in the semi-finals will not get my hand up so quickly. And if there is anything negative about the European Championship, it is the distance between the referee and me”, Van Boekel admits honestly. 
“I have been on the road with Team Kuipers all year. At the Champions League, the VAR was on location. But not at the Euro. My whole time was spent at the UEFA headquarters in Nyon. Logistically, that was perhaps the best solution. But I have not tasted the atmosphere in the stadiums, like at Wembley, or felt the real competition tension. I only saw the referees beforehand via a video call.” On Monday he met Kuipers and co. at the Schiphol airport. ”They came from London, I came from Nyon”, says Van Boekel. He praises the reception of the KNVB and main sponsor ARAG at Schiphol and at the Hilton Hotel. “I have seen the beautiful Switzerland by mountain bike, but after five weeks it is nice to be back in Vierlingsbeek. I am also really put in the spotlight at home. The family had made banners. That meant something to me. Because I really only had a limited role at the European Championship."
Pol van Boekel speaks highly of colleague Bjorn Kuipers. “I enjoy his success,” says Van Boekel. “When I see what he radiates in the final. That is wonderful. That man is a top manager 24/7. At work and on the field. It is nice to listen to him. How powerfully he communicates with the players or just gives a speech. Admirable.” Van Boekel has known Kuipers for more than 10 years. "He's one of the guys. When we are abroad together, we have a lot of fun. But in the end, he is the boss of the team. I think it is fantastic that he has now whistled a final of a continental tournament. Such a big final was still missing on his list. On our list, I say secretly. Although I am only supportive in this team.” And what if Kuipers now stops as an international referee? Van Boekel: “I am not dependent on Bjorn. UEFA has already assigned me as VAR for Serdar Gözübüyük. And next season there will also be video assistant referees in the qualifying matches for the World Cup. I will also continue for a while as a referee.”

Source: AD