Soares Dias: “I had planned my retirement differently, but some events changed the way it was announced”

Artur Soares Dias hangs his whistle after more than 500 games in Portugal. More than 700 in total, if we add his international matches. At 45 years old, the referee from Porto leaves the field, but not football. In the first interview since the announcement, Artur Soares Dias went with A Bola to the former Portucel factory, in Viana do Castelo, where he worked until 2012, when he decided to stop being Director of Human Resources to become a professional football referee. An exclusive journey through a career full of tremendous challenges, but one that fills with pride the son of Manuel Soares Dias, also a former referee.
- Why did you choose to speak for the first time about the end of your referee career here at former Portucel, in Viana do Castelo?
- We are normal people, we have families, we have children, we are parents and so it is always good to show what is beyond that person that everyone sees on the field. And so I think it's good to show us in this reality. I was very happy here. It was here that I spent many of my youth years after college. I took over the management of Human Resources when I was only 24 years, with 310 employees and a budget of 11.4 million euros to manage. It was one of my biggest challenges, being able to lead a company of such a large size.
- As a Human Resources director, you had to negotiate, hire people and fire others. Among these collaborators some have certainly called you a lot of things, but not the bad words that football has made you known. No one called you corrupted here...
- It is true. One of the least rewarding areas of Human Resources is having to fire people. I was very resilient because I argued that dismissal should be the last measure to happen. They surely didn’t call me corrupt, unlike what happened on these football fields. But they may have called me something else, but I didn't know, did I? In the final part of my career, there was always a great respect for my experience, an understanding of the mistakes I made - and I made many of them, unfortunately - but they knew that they were human, and because they were human were acceptable. It was always very gratifying.
- But you dealt with frequent insults...
- I confess that we, when we are on the field, because of concentration, of the focus on what is the most important, which is to make good decisions, we are far aside from what everyone else perceives. Another thing is the insult on the streets, the gratuitous insult, the cheap insult. This is more difficult to digest, because we all have the right to our privacy, respect, and they were the most difficult times. Although, the result of what my career was, recognition, in particular in recent years, was easier. There were more selfies, words of encouragement, not to give up and continue. In the recent past, there was more and more of this, because some people began to realize that the end was near.
- I was at this former Portucel when, in 2010, you became an international referee and two years later you decided to be a full-time professional referee. How did you make the decision to abandon this life for the love of refereeing?
- I had two moments in my life that were the hardest to make decisions. One, surely, was in 2012, when, after a trip I made between Viana do Castelo and Porto, I heard a song from Antonio Variacoes that we all know – “Mude of life if you do not live satisfied...” [singing] I started working at 8:30 and could only leave from here a few times at eight o’clock at night, I arrived home very tired, still trained and the day after I was here again. I came home many times exhausted and found myself thinking that was not life. I had a huge passion for refereeing and the pressure I felt on the field. Oh, I love it. Resilience is one of the names that accompanies me. I believe that passion is essential to success. At that moment, I decided to go after my passion and I thought I would make it. I was going to make it to the Olympic Games, where no Portuguese referee had gone before. When I decided to be a professional referee, I decided to train, prepare, dedicate, strive to get there. It was not easy. I already had children and when I left the business world for some “biting”, as they said, it was not easy. We are not valued, we are not treated well... My father often said: “Boy, no one can serve two masters well.” I had a very big gentleman who is this [former Portucel] and another even bigger master who was football. I decided on the passion to manage 22 players, and my perspective was to conquer the world. It was to go out there to show that Portugal has top referees and has quality to show. The refereeing in Portugal is good.
- But from 2012 until today we continue to question the quality of refereeing...
- I believe there is background work to be done, there are mentalities to be changed and new perspectives to be given. There is new blood to enter, and I believe that there is a lot of work to be done in this matter because I think the value is here and we will be able to easily reach that level, if we can show the value that exists. It is a hard way, it will be a difficult path, but with everyone involved, including the leaders who are equally very mistreated, we will succeed. If it were not for the vision of these leaders to make good investments in certain referees and to develop the infrastructure this would be worse. I think there's little recognition.
- Not all football problems start and end with refereeing?
- That’s for sure, but it’s hard to have that perception, it’s true. If we all sit at a table, reflect... football is an industry, it is a business that gives something to all of us, if it is valued in the same way. It's time that we all think together.
- If the referees speak more often, would that help?
- I often say that communication is essential. Let’s go to what’s more basic: if we don’t talk to our children in a right way, if we don’t interact with them and if we don’t explain them the world, most likely they’re not. We have to communicate all. We must not be afraid to say, “I have erred, now help me not to err anymore.” We will create conditions that facilitate their work. Let's build it, it's easy. Let's share ideas.
- There were games where you wished to be the Human Resources director who called the players to speak openly as you couldn’t do as a referee?
- One of the most valued issues in refereeing is the body language, it is communication without verbalizing, but it is very difficult, because we will not stop the game because the fans want to see the game going on. But I loved it. The worst feeling I had in my life as a referee was to get home and realize that I was wrong, that I hurt someone, and then not being able to have the opportunity to change it. I had the habit of going to see what went well and what went wrong in the game. Let me send a word to the younger ones: help us to be better. Since I made this decision, I have received hundreds of messages, many of them from young people asking for videos to motivate them, something that has made me astonished. To think that I'm an idol for some people... I thought about it. There is a big shortage of referees. There are games that go not played due to lack of referees and we all have to help those 17- and 18-year-olds who want to start. We have to motivate them, so a word of appreciation to these young people who are resilient to be able to build the Soares Dias of the future. I wish you have an easiest life than I had. I remember when I was appointed to a derby I thought before whether I would survive or if it was going to be the end of my career. We know that our success or failure is at a second, a penalty, a red card. Fortunately, I managed to survive 20 years and many derbies and classics. Now with VAR you don't die in a second anymore, because we have someone who helps us make, and review, the best decision.
- Did you decide to be a referee because you were the son of the former referee Manuel Soares Dias?
- No. My father contradicted my wishes, because he knew well how difficult it was to be a football referee, and during his time it was worse. At this moment, it is much easier because there was a huge evolution in refereeing, at all levels; the result of the work of all people who were involved in refereeing, but at the time of my father it was very difficult and therefore he never encouraged me.
- How did the refereeing bug get into you?
- Look, I was a kid. I was 15 years old when I went with my father to a game in the old Estádio da Luz, full, and I remember perfectly entering those very narrow tunnels and having noticed the emotions, feeling the enormous pressure that was in that place. I found it cute, as a result of my young age, not knowing what I was going to get into.
- How did you say to Manuel that you were going to be a referee too?
- I’m a father and I know that parents want better for their children. We try to refer them to what we think is the best way for them, but we all have the right to experience anything, good and bad. He tried to discourage me but could not convince me and then became my greatest support and it was with him that I managed to get here.
- He died early in 2009 and did not have a real sense of the level his son reached...
- This is one of my greatest heartbreaks... I often joked with him and told him, “Father, I’m going to pass you in two years”. He replied, “You are judging now”. I have always defended the name Soares Dias. It’s one of the things I like most, it’s the respect I have in it, it’s what I consider most. It is a constant struggle to dignify it.
- You have a son and a daughter whom you have always protected from everything that was said?
- I tried to protect them to the fullest. Some stories are very difficult. My son came home and said, as he told me a few times, fortunately very few, that a classmate at the school told him that his father was a thief... hearing this from an eight- or nine-year-old. This comes from the lack of education, the lack of principles and values that is given at their home. Unfortunately, this happens, but I tried to protect my children. The only thing I taught them was: “When someone says a comment about your father, just say that your father is the best at what he does. Then ask them if their father is as good as yours. If their father is as good as yours, he'll be a very respected person, because your father is very good at what he does”.
- At some point you thought of quitting?
- Lots of times I found myself many nights wondering “what am I doing here?”
- Did anyone try to bribe you?
- Not really. Perhaps there have been attempts, but they have not been materialized. When we're talking about bribes, we're talking about giving a tracksuit when I started and was only a kid. But if we cut right away with these little things, like a workout pass or a lunch, people soon would know that you’re not going to do it.
- So that idea that they are all corrupt, they are all sold, is it pure invention?
- I believe so. In my case, it is pure invention. In society there are serious and less serious people. I'm not saying that others do or don't. I speak for myself and will always defend myself. I also believe that my colleagues in the first category do not have anything to do with this. I believe in their seriousness. I believe they are examples to follow for society, just like me.
- In 2017 you lived perhaps the worst moment of your career, at Maia’s training center. Were you threatened by a cheerleader?
- I'm glad you mentioned this. At Maia there were two 20-year-old kids who spent their time on the street and when they saw me, before the game Pacos de Ferreira-FC Porto, they said: “If you don’t behave well tomorrow, we’ll take care of your health.” I have received messages like these dozens of times. Even recently I got messages during the night threatening me. This is the life of a referee. However, that was only one in a thousand contacts. What is certain is that a story has been created around it, intentionally, in the sense of manipulating society, manipulating the masses. The facts occurred but were presented in the media on a larger scale. But do me a favor: mediatize all others, because there are many more. Create conditions so they do to happen. This is essentially because of education of the fans, creating conditions for families to go to the stadiums, children to go to stadiums with their parents, which happens less and less. I always say that when there is a problem, there is a cause.
- You have refereed three Euro 2024 matches. Why didn't you announce the end of your career when you returned from Germany?
- When Roberto Rosetti, the head of UEFA refereeing, said goodbye to me, I told him that I had finished my career. This decision was communicated to him and to all other leaders of Portuguese refereeing. I had planned to finish my career at 45 and that’s what I did.
- But why did we only find out about it on the eve of the Saudi Super Cup?
- There are circumstances of our lives that we do not control. I had planned it differently, thinking that the end of my career would be communicated in a structured, planned way. This structure, this plan, existed and exists, but we have had some events in-between that I think were not well managed. They made the news come out in a way that is not compatible with a career like mine, but life is like that. There are unforeseen events, and we just need the ability to relativize them and keep moving forward.
- After all this you refereed the Saudi Super Cup.
- I was very well received by Jorge Jesus, Luís Castro and Ronaldo, Ruben Neves, Otavio. It was fantastic.
- Why did you end your career with the Saudi Super Cup and not the Portuguese Super Cup?
- The president of the committee makes the appointments, and he considered that it was good for another colleague to be appointed. I think they should bet on the future of Portuguese refereeing.
- Is it without a heartache?
- None with anyone, even those who have hurt me. I thank them too, because they were the gasoline for my career.
- You are seen as the successor of Pedro Proença. When he leaves the League and heads to other roles, and it is said that the Portuguese Football Federation may be next for him, can you succeed him in the League?
- Fortunately, I can be anything, but it’s not anything I’m going to be. I will continue in sport, certainly, and in football in particular. I have a profile and knowledge that allows me to be in several roles and I have already been challenged to various possibilities. I have given a lot to refereeing, but the refereeing cycle has come to an end. I am sure I can bring value to football in some way.
- I see you as someone ready to work in football, but not just refereeing. Is that it?
- I have the same vision, but I think it’s still premature to close any door. I am not available for anything, but I am available to serve football. That will be the way.
- Is there still much to do in football?
- There is, definitely; new blood is needed in the organizations, and I feel like I have that blood. And I believe I can be an asset.
- Are there any doors open outside?
- The doors are open. But I'm still living the end of my referee career. It's still bubbling. The path will be found with clairvoyance. Now I need to relax. After so many weekends living football, I need to pay attention to my children.
- So, you won’t watch a lot of football, nor the matches of your colleagues?
- I need to rest from refereeing at this time.
- Refereeing gave you more friends or more enemies?
- My career was much better than I thought. Going to two European Championships, a World Cup, Olympic Games... Last year I was elected among the 25 best referees in the world. I never imagined this in my life, it was fantastic. I owe a lot to refereeing, it made me know the world. I'm grateful. I appreciate it.
- Which player did you like the most? Was there any?
- There were several. I can talk about one. Or two of them. Or better three. Pepe, who is a great person. There's that whole show on the field. Outside the field, he shows good education, fantastic attention, respect... I value this a lot. Renato Sanches: in a game in Russia, without asking him anything, knocking on the door and handing me a shirt of his team. Because I was Portuguese, and he liked my refereeing. Incredible! These things mark me. Bernardo Silva, for the same reasons. Incredible values. Even on the field, distinct from others. But there are more... these principles must be valued.
- The best leader?
- We have several. Those who are able to acknowledge their mistake, which has happened several times. As the result of the emotion, they feel ended up spilling over what was normal and some had the competence and principles of recognizing the error and apologizing. The leaders in Portugal should be more valued, for what they give to football. All are determined and I thank them for having put me on and even when I made mistakes, they always had the right way to tell me about them.
- The most difficult coach on the bench?
- Some go extra miles, more than others, but as I like the positive characters, I remember Jorge Jesus, who was kind enough to give me a shirt and applaud my refereeing. This is what I value and thank for.
- As a 45-year-old who ended your career as international referee, what do you ask for?
- I have everything. I'm not missing anything.
- What about the controversial video in the Povoas pool, in which you are seen by the pool, close to Pinto da Costa, former president of FC Porto?
- I landed in Saudi Arabia, and I was surprised by a video, which I didn’t even know that existed, and with the communication of the end of my career. It was all precipitated in the wrong way and it doesn’t make sense what happened. I have a right as a person - and I cannot dissociate, because I must have respect, education and principles - to be with friends. And I was invited to go to a party of a friend, Dr. Fernando Povoas, to go to his house with the family to see the animals. It was the first time I went there. And I was surprised by the presence of other people, among them Pinto da Costa”, he explains.
- If it were today, would you go again?
- I would perhaps think about going or not going, to protect myself, because it is certain that we are talking about a former referee and a former president who met at a private event. If I knew he was there, I wouldn't go. We have to protect ourselves a lot because society doesn't see this with good eyes. I never depended on club officials, so it was not now that I would need it. Not because he is Pinto da Costa, but because he is a leader or former leader of a club.
- Tiago Martins came up with the idea that “there are unjust cards to show.” You showed many cards throughout your career and one of them was showed to Jurgen Klopp in a Europa League match between Liverpool and Sparta Prague.
- He’s a football lord and, after showing him the card, he apologized to me for the attitude and told me that I was absolutely right. The ability to recognize error is not for everyone.
- In the final of the UEFA Conference League and in your last game, the Saudi Super Cup, you had Tiago Martins as VAR.
- Tiago Martins was one of the people, among others, very important in my career. I remember that in 2018, when FIFA asked me if there was any Portuguese to act as VAR, I indicated Tiago. Fortunately, I was right, because he has demonstrated his competence.

Source: A Bola