Spanish referees ask for SAOT help after VAR mistake

Spanish referees are calling for VAR to be boosted by semi-automated offside technology after a video-review mistake in a league match between Cadiz and Elche. The referee’s technical committee made a request to the Spanish league in a statement released on Tuesday by the Spanish soccer federation. The move came after the Video Assistant Referee failed to spot an Elche player was clearly in an offside position in the buildup to Elche’s 81st-minute equalizer at Cadiz on Monday. The 1-1 draw could prove to be significant with both clubs in the relegation zone. The Spanish league said it is up to the federation itself to implement the new technology, as the league has no control over refereeing decisions. The league said the referees and the federation, “instead of assuming responsibility or apologizing, are trying to transfer the blame to an organization that is not responsible for making refereeing decisions.” Cadiz officially challenged the result of the game and said it wants it to be replayed from the 81st minute before Elche scored. It said it does not rule out legal actions in the future depending on what happens at the end of the season. The club said in a statement that what happened “cannot be called a mere human error.” It said it was a “serious” refereeing mistake “motivated by the negligent and non-excusable action” of the VAR refereeing crew. Cadiz coach Sergio González said referee Carlos del Cerro Grande talked to him after the game and apologized for the mistake. Cadiz president Manuel Vizcaíno told Radio Marca on Tuesday that the apology did little for his club. “It was hard to sleep last night,” he said. “There is nothing that can be done for my club now, I just hope it doesn’t happen to someone else.” Cadiz sits in 18th place, one point from safety after 17 league rounds. The semi-automated offside technology was used by the Spanish federation in the Spanish Super Cup tournament that Barcelona won on Sunday in a final against Real Madrid. (Source: AP)
Open letter from VAR Ignacio Iglesias Villanueva: “After what happened in the Cadiz-Elche match on matchday 17 of the First Division and the subsequent avalanche of comments, criticisms, and speculations on this subject, I have felt the need, with the support of the CTA, to write this open letter to express my feelings. It is simple and difficult at the same time to pronounce these words, but they are obvious and painful: I was wrong. I don't feel like using an automatic speech to say things like we all make mistakes, the players also fail, the coaches... I prefer to write sincerely of what I feel and without falling into victimhood since it is something I hate. What I feel is anger, pain, and annoyance with myself for the mistake I made. I also feel that such a mistake will tarnish the work carried out by the CTA and all my fellow referees where professionalism, honesty, and self-criticism are part of our profession. I am sorry that a bad decision of mine has harmed Cadiz CF and I apologize for this to the club and its fans, where they have always treated me with great respect. I feel that the honesty and independence of the referees and their decisions are questioned every weekend, almost daily. Since I dedicated myself to this profession, I have never received the slightest suggestion or interference of any kind in this regard. Doubting the honesty and independence of referees generates a climate of mistrust and tension that makes impossible the development of our work, which I believe no one in Spanish football deserves. I'm sorry and I don't understand why this situation has been used to talk about and criticize other issues related to the RFEF that have nothing to do with my mistake. I dedicate myself to refereeing and my only interest is to improve and try to do my job well, like any employee in any company. I am an athlete and I accept when I fail: it was my mistake, no one else’s. The CTA provides us with the necessary means to carry out our work in the best possible way and we have to make decisions. I was wrong, there is no doubt about that. Finally, I am not in favor of referees talking about plays or explaining mistakes, but due to the exceptionality of this situation, the fans and football needed it. The one who has lost the most in this situation is me, but no one should question the honesty of the Spanish referees, including myself, after so many years of involvement and professionalism.” (Source: RFEF)