Referee Aytekin ends international career

Deniz Aytekin will no longer referee in the European or international matches. The German Referee of the Year 2022 surprisingly ended his international career at the age of 44. The DFB announced it on Thursday morning. Aytekin was on the FIFA List since 2011 and, among other things, oversaw 25 games in the Champions League, 28 in the Europa League and one in the Europa Conference League, plus 23 other international matches.
"Over the past few days, I have been talking intensively with my family and friends about the future of my international refereeing. As a result, it feels right that I am retiring as a FIFA referee after 12 years", Aytekin is quoted as saying. "I also discussed this decision with Roberto Rosetti, UEFA's chief refereeing officer, and I just had one wish. The main reason is that I want to spend more time with my family and friends," explains the native of Nurnberg. "In addition," Aytekin continued, "the international trips are too time-consuming and physically demanding and make self-determination difficult. But the sporting perspective of my German colleagues also played a role: we have young Bundesliga referees at the DFB who need to take the next step on the international stage. But we also have very good, experienced Bundesliga referees who deserve a chance to referee international games as well." At national level, Aytekin wants to continue. "Quite the opposite!" he replies when asked if he wants to take it easy there. "If I stay healthy, I will still have a few years at the highest level in Germany. This challenge and the joy and appreciation that I can enjoy in Germany is a great motivation for me and it totally fulfills me as a referee." An anniversary is coming up in the Bundesliga, where Aytekin currently has 199 appearances.

Source: Kicker