Clattenburg reveals he threw his boot towards Mourinho

Jose Mourinho's wild conspiracy theories whilst in charge of Manchester United forced ex-Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg to launch a boot in his direction. The self-proclaimed 'Special One' is well-known for his perpetual manner on the touchline, constantly in the ear of the fourth official and never ceasing to tell the referee exactly what he thinks of their decisions.
For most officials, the half-time interval must come as a welcome break away from the limelight and never-ending jibes - however, Clattenburg reveals that certainly isn't the case when Mourinho's in the dugout. Speaking to Ladbrokes, the former top-flight referee recalled how he once "lost it" with the ex-Man Utd boss. "I remember refereeing one Manchester Derby where, at half-time, City's Brian Kidd was coming into my dressing room to ask us how long was left before play resumed," said Clattenburg. "That was all he was asking, and I welcomed it, gave him an answer, and off he went, back into his dressing room. Manchester United had Mourinho had people watching what was going on around my dressing room, and Jose would complain that Brian Kidd was coming in and out of my dressing room. Jose was always welcome to do the same; my door was always open. I never stopped anybody from coming in. It was all a conspiracy, a game. I remember the one time I lost it with him. It was one of my last matches, I was at Stoke who were playing United. I'd had a good game, especially because Stoke was always such a difficult place to go and referee. Not because of the fans, they were incredible. It was just always so windy and cold up there. I remember coming off at the end of the game, I think Wayne Rooney had just become United's record goal scorer in the last minute. The game finished 1-1, it was a really good match, and I knew I'd got everything right. I was happy with my performance when I got back into the dressing room, especially because Stoke v Man United is not an easy game to manage. But Jose comes into the dressing room and makes another complaint against me. I just lost it and threw my boot towards the wall in his direction - missing him of course. I just thought 'do you know what? I'm sick of these mind games. I'm sick of the rubbish that goes on'. Some of the things he'd say... you'd leave the stadium, you'd have a three-hour drive home and these comments are just flying around in your head. You start questioning decisions you made in the game, he puts that doubt in your mind. Then you get home and watch the game back and realise you've made the right calls, you'd done nothing wrong. Jose always blames me for getting the sack from Chelsea after losing to Leicester. You just think 'how can you blame me?' Your team got absolutely walloped, and it wasn't just as a result of that one game; it was over a period of time."

Source: Daily Star