Marciniak: “I was running away from the coronavirus, but I was too slow!”

2020 was not an easy time for anyone. The coronavirus pandemic at some point stopped the whole world - including the sports one, which has not yet returned to normal. Szymon Marciniak, an international referee, who got Covid-19, summed it up in an interview with us. "I'm going back to myself all the time," he said. “The silence of the stadium increased the panic and fear that were around us then. While traveling to different stadiums at the beginning of the pandemic, I saw how this atmosphere affects us. It's bad to play without spectators”. Interestingly, the cheers of fans, although often against the referees, are - as it turns out - necessary even for them. “All these stadium chants, shouts of joy, whistles, it all ties together”, said Marciniak. “In competitions with public, you simply participate better. Such matches are also better refereed. From my perspective, when there are fans, you feel the pressure and the level of concentration increases”. Sport is slowly waking up from the Covid sleep. For now, however, there is no question of full stadiums. The players therefore had to get used to the sight of empty stands - at least for a while.
“In April 2020, we all experienced a shock - that's a fact. It was a time for reflection, also for me. However, in football on a certain level you have to forget about the problems. Clear your mind when you step onto the pitch. It is a pity that there is no one in the stands, because it could be a nice football celebration - I heard that many times”. Despite this, Szymon Marciniak describes 2020 as "professionally successful". "I have nothing to complain about. The year was successful for me, and when it comes to the Polish league, even very much. I even look at it from the perspective of not using VAR. Because if the referee does not do it, it must be a good match” - he laughs. Among his most important events of the past year, Marciniak lists the largest events in which he had the opportunity to take part. After all, he got Europa League semi-final and also refereed Champions League matches. “My referee team had the opportunity to take part in the quarter-finals of this tournament, we also went to the Europa League semi-final with the Inter-Shakhtar match. It was a very good year for me, so I entered 2021 with hope. Unfortunately, life changed my plans a bit, due to be the coronavirus”. Marciniak fell ill with Covid-19 in December last year. “I ran away from Covid as much as I could, but I think I was too slow”, he mocked the situation. “Covid caught me in December and I really had to fight this disease a bit. It is true that there was no drama, but I have not yet returned to full capability”, he revealed after a while. This is the reason for a professional pause in the life of Szymon Marciniak, a pause that is supposed to be temporary. "My heart rate is too high at the moment", the referee explained. “The choking cough I struggled with at the turn of the year has wreaked little havoc on my body. I can see that from my heartbeat, which is too high. For this reason, I will start the European competition a bit later. To work at that level, a referee has to be perfectly recovered. I have to bring my lungs to full capacity - with training and matches in the Polish league”, added Marciniak. However, Szymon Marciniak should return to European stadiums soon. “I think that in March I will be 100 percent ready”, he concluded.

Source: Portal Plock