Brych refereed most UEFA Champions League matches

It is the very best teams, the champions, the best who, according to the anthem, compete against each other in the UEFA Champions League. DFB referee Dr. Felix Brych was able to hear the musical masterpiece more often than any other referee. In the DFB.de interview, the 45-year-old referee talks to editor Arthur Ril about his special record in the premier class competition, the eventful 2019/2020 season and the upcoming Bundesliga start. 
DFB.de: Mr. Brych, how would you describe last season in a few words? 
Dr. Felix Brych: The 2019/2020 season was extraordinary and demanding - on and off the pitch. Due to the circumstances that we faced with the Corona break, but also personally. I had a lot of close games that were competitive until the very end. I had to evaluate a lot of tricky situations. I don't think I've ever given as many red cards as I did last season. It really demanded a lot from me, but it also brought something beautiful to light, for example my record in the Champions League. 
DFB.de: You have been a DFB referee since 1999, in the Bundesliga since 2004 and internationally since 2007. What new experiences did you have in the 2019/2020 season? 
Brych: Of course, the closed games were a new experience. That was something new for me too, which I had to adjust to. After the pre-season, which hadn't gone so well for me with the World Cup, I wanted to fight my way back completely. I had hoped that I would reach my performance limits again in 2019/2020. I did that in many games, and that's why I'm very satisfied with the 2019/2020 season from a sporting perspective. 
DFB.de: And what experience would you have liked to have done without in retrospect? 
Brych: Games in an empty stadium are different than in front of a sold out house. The atmosphere pushes me too, but it also motivated me that I had to prepare for an empty stadium because it was something new for me. I noticed that I was really looking forward to the first game after the Corona break. Another special feature was that the regional association neutrality was lifted, so that I was allowed to whistle in Bavaria. That released new strength somewhere and with it, in turn, new motivation in me. That's why I don't want to completely miss out on this experience, but of course I'm happy when the stands are full again at some point. 
DFB.de: Among the currently active DFB referees, you have by far the most matches in the Bundesliga with 283 appearances,. And in the UEFA Champions League you also rose to the record of most matches refereed, after the game between SSC Napoli and FC Barcelona. Have you always had this goal in mind? 
Brych: It was never my goal, but recently I had noticed that this record was possible - and then it became my goal. So this game in Naples was a really special game. 
DFB.de: In the history of the Champions League, with 57 appearances, you directed the most games of all referees. What does this record mean to you? 
Brych: A lot. Of course, it's not just this record game that is special, but rather the entire way there - and that I persevered for so long. Every now and then we each walk through a valley, sometimes things don't work the way we want, we have to face setbacks or defeats. But I've always been able to fight my way back and motivate - for every game, every year. Then when I saw the record in sight, I really started counting the games and in the end I am proud that it worked out. 
DFB.de: In the second leg of the match between Manchester City and Real Madrid, you even managed to increase your own record to 58 appearances in the premier class of European football. Do you still get goose bumps when you hear the Champions League anthem? 
Brych: The anthem is very special to me and I get goose bumps every time I hear it, but not just before the game. I'm so focused that I almost don't notice the surrounding area anymore. I did everything I could to be allowed to whistle in this league. Every Champions League appearance is still a highlight for me. That's why my goal is to be able to hear the anthem a few more times. 
DFB.de: In the UEFA Europa League you were appointed to lead the semi-final between FC Sevilla and Manchester United in Cologne. Whistling a European Cup game on German soil, this experience has only been granted to a few DFB referees so far. How was it for you to be able to referee an international game in Germany? 
Brych: I was really looking forward to this mission, although it can also be dangerous. If the anticipation is too great, you may lose your tension, but that didn't happen to me. To be able to whistle a European Cup game at home is an opportunity only given to very few referees. 
DFB.de: After the Corona-related restart of the Bundesliga, the DFB referees were also grateful and happy to be back on the pitch so that they could pursue their passion again. How do you feel about the upcoming Bundesliga start? 
Brych: With the same feeling as after the restart, with a certain joy and gratitude that we can return to the field. But certainly also with a question mark: How does it go next? How is the health situation developing nationally and internationally? The focus is clearly on the sport, but the view also goes around us. 
DFB.de: 36 appearances in national and international competitions. How do you actually recover from such an exhausting season? Were you able to enjoy the summer break and switch off? At the beginning of September the training camp of the DFB referees in Grassau and the preparation for the new season were already on the agenda. 
Brych: A correct and deeper recovery was not possible between the seasons, but we all had the 8-week Corona break, which I used accordingly - both mentally and physically. In the course of my career I have learned to switch off as quickly and intensively as possible in a very short time. Even during the season, when there are three games a week, I have to process one and prepare for the next. I'm fit and looking forward to the new season – ready to start. 

Source: DFB