FIFA referee in less than 3 years!

Less than three years ago, Louise Thompson was playing for Fermanagh Mallards, getting to third place in the Women’s Premiership before a serious knee injury ended her career. Now 31-year-old Thompson is the IFA’s first-ever female FIFA referee having been selected for the 2020 FIFA list. Unfortunately, the Covid-19 pandemic has meant Louise has already missed out on her first FIFA appointment, however, she remains focused on her fitness and remains hopeful that she will get further FIFA appointments once the sport returns to normal. 
A recruitment drive for female referees by the IFA caught Thompson’s eye, setting her on her current journey. “I started refereeing about two and a half years ago,” explained Louise. “I had played football for 14 years playing at Premiership and Championship level, winning Cup and league titles when a knee ligament injury meant I had to give it up.” Thompson, who competes in showjumping when she isn’t refereeing, was so determined to succeed she reduced her hours at work to enable her to dedicate more of her time. “Once I start something I am committed to it and give it 100%,” said Louise. “When I began refereeing I was determined to be the best I could be. I work in retail and because I couldn’t get Saturday’s off to referee, I reduced my hours and opted to go part time so I was always available for games.” The announcement of the FIFA 2020 list saw Louise mark her name in the record books as the IFA’s first female referee, however, the ongoing coronavirus situation has meant football has been at a standstill for months. “I am very honoured to be on the FIFA list. Jamie Robinson, who is also a new FIFA referee and myself got our UEFA introductory course in Majorca completed before the pandemic led to the lockdown. It involved a detailed medical, fitness test, laws of the game exam and a detailed induction into what it takes to be an international referee. We were supposed to have our first FIFA tournament at the start of April but that was cancelled. Obviously, it’s very disappointing, I’m five months into my FIFA career and haven’t had a game yet but I am continuing with my training to ensure I’m ready when football resumes. Once things get back on track and hopefully that will be sooner rather than later, we will be appointed out. FIFA usually sends you to a tournament first so we will have to wait and see what happens. Everything steps up a level when you are on the list.” With a passion for the beautiful game and an ability to take charge, Louise Thompson is setting her sights on the top flight of the game with an aim of emulating Stephanie Frappart. “Next summer was to have been the Women’s Euros which was to be hosted in England but now it has been pushed back to 2022. Perhaps that might be too soon for me but that would be my goal but I have to get through a few FIFA tournaments first before that can happen. I would like the opportunity to officiate at a Champions League qualifier then maybe the Euros but the ultimate goal would be officiating at a World Cup. What Stephanie Frappart has done for women’s refereeing has been immense. She became the first female referee to officiate a major men’s European match when she took charge of the UEFA Super Cup when Liverpool beat Chelsea. To get a female in that role was brilliant and shows you can break through and if she can do it then it shows there is plenty of room for the rest of us to follow.” 

Source: NewsLetter