Former FIFA Referee removed as VAR in Mexico

Virginia Tovar will be remembered for having been the first woman referee in Mexican football. A FIFA referee between 1996 and 2004, she has officiated at FIFA Women’s World Cup 1999 and Concacaf Women’s Gold Cup 2000, including the FIFA U-19 Women’s World Cup final 2004. After her time at the highest level in Mexico, Vicky told Record that today it would be easier for a woman to whistle with the help from the VAR. 
- Is the VAR taking away the authority from the referee? 
- It is a very good tool because more justice is done, but the best referee is the one who uses the VAR the least. In practice, something interesting happened to me. It was a tournament, where I was assigned VAR with Rojas as referee. When a foul happened, I told him: “I'm checking it, don't restart play”. Then I heard Rojas, who is a First Division referee, telling to his assistants: “Vicky is checking it and will tell us what it is" and I was flattered that they were comfortable with my decision.
- Why are you no longer a VAR? 
- I attended VAR courses for three years and I worked in the opening match. Then no longer, because the VAR manager, Arturo Angeles, after the third match, told me that I was no longer needed because I had no capacity. Oh, come on! Then how I got to the First Division if I don't have the capacity?
- What was your role? 
- I had to follow the play live in case something happened while a situation was being checked by the VAR. I was reprimanded by Professor Angeles for checking the replays to give my point of view to the VAR. He said to me: “No, don't watch that; just watch what's going on live!” 
- Can you tell us an anecdote that you have with the use of the VAR? 
- In a match Chivas - Toluca, when it was over, I said to the referee: “Hey, that was red”. Then he asked me “And why did not you tell me?” I replied that “Professor Angeles has insisted that I not turn to see your replays, but only the live play”. They didn't want me there, I don't know. I just quit because they wanted to send me to the Third Division and I know that I could do better. 

Source: Record