A giant in African refereeing has fallen

Considered a "father" by the new generation of referees, Badara Sene died on Monday, at the age of 75, due to an illness. Former FIFA referee and former president of the CAF Referees Committee for several years, he was also mayor of the City of Rufisque (2009-2014). He was at the base of the training of most Senegalese international referees like Falla Ndoye, Badara Diatta, Malang Diedhiou and developed them during their respective careers. Badara Sene himself was the referee of the CAN 1992 final, which took place in Senegal, between Côte d'Ivoire and Ghana. (Source: SenePlus
According to his former colleague, international referee Malang Diedhiou, Senegal has lost a social and honest man. “He was someone who loved refereeing all his life and who held several positions of responsibility at the CAF level and in Senegal. He's an honest referee. But also a very social man. On numerous occasions, he has traveled to provide support to people,'' says Malang Diedhiou on Rfm. He added: “I remember a competition in which I had a good match and they wanted to give me another. But I had an injury. He came to see me and to give me his advice. In the end, I listened to his advice and decided not to take this match, because I was not at my best level and it could affect my career”. (Source: SeneWeb
Former World Cup referee Jerome Damon also paid his respects: “A giant in refereeing has fallen... today I bid a sad farewell to Badara Sene from Senegal. Badara and the late Omar Sey (GAM) gave me a chance in 2003 and sent me to WCU17 in Finland... stood with our decision when all were against us #CAN2006 CIVNGA. Mentor and friend RIP.” (Source: Twitter)