World Cup referee Kassai has retired

Viktor Kassai started his refereeing career in 1990, when he was only 15 years old. He was promoted to the first division at the age of 24 and became a FIFA referee in 2003. His performances were quickly rewarded with an Olympic final in 2008 and a World Cup semi-final in 2010, the highest honour for a Hungarian referee since Puhl’s World Cup final in 1994. Kassai reached the pinnacle of his career in 2011, when he was the youngest referee appointed to the UEFA Champions League final. In the same year, Kassai was voted by IFFHS as the world’s best referee.
"I have decided to end my long referee career in order to face new challenges. I would like to thank everyone in the federation, the heads of refereeing and the colleagues who have helped me in this period, because without them I would not have been successful in my career. I have spent more than 30 years in the Hungarian football and international matches. I already got so much, almost everything I could ask for. This has been a very long time, so I have decided to start a new era in my life. I do not want to get away from football and lately I trained in sport management, hoping to be successful in this field as well". (Source: MLSZ)


FIFA Referee 2003-2019 
2005: UEFA U-19 Euro (Northern Ireland) 
2007: FIFA U-20 World Cup (Canada) 
2008: UEFA Euro (Austria & Switzerland, fourth official) 
2008: Olympic Games (Beijing): Argentina – Nigeria (final) 
2009: FIFA U-17 World Cup (Nigeria) 
2010: FIFA World Cup (South Africa): Brazil – Korea DPR, Uruguay – Mexico, Ghana – USA, Spain – Germany (semi-final) 
2011: UEFA Champions League final: Manchester United – FC Barcelona 
2012: UEFA Champions League semi-final 
2012: UEFA Euro (Poland & Ukraine): Spain – Italy, Ukraine – England 
2013: UEFA Champions League semi-final 
2013: FIFA U-20 World Cup (Turkey) 
2016: UEFA Europa League semi-final 
2016: UEFA Euro (France): France – Romania (opening match), Italy – Sweden, Germany – Italy (quarter-final), France – Portugal (final, fourth official) 
2016: FIFA Club World Cup semi-final 
2017: FIFA U-20 World Cup (Korea)