“Man in the Middle”: Europe's referees return to play

In the final instalment of the series, episode four picks up the story where it left off in episode three, with UEFA's plans to implement the 'Return to Play' project – which culminated in a unique UEFA Champions League final tournament in Lisbon in August. Equipment and technology also play an important role in refereeing. The spotlight turns to two key partners, as we hear from Hawk-Eye and Macron on how they deliver equipment and clothing to help the officials concentrate on the task at hand. We hear too from referees involved in the Lisbon tournament, in particular Italian Daniele Orsato who took charge of the final between Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern München, while UEFA Referees Committee chairman Roberto Rosetti gives his verdict on the referees' excellent showing in Portugal. 
Roberto Rosetti: "UEFA believed that it was crucial to come back onto the field of play. And UEFA took action immediately. UEFA decided to postpone the Euro, and this was so important for the national associations because, in this way, they could restart and finish their championships. And then UEFA could restart the competitions." 
Anthony Taylor: "The build-up to a Champions League quarter-final is really exciting. There's less atmosphere in terms of spectators [owing to this year's measures], but once that warm-up starts, the real important thing from my point of view is that both me and the rest of the team are solely focused on what lies ahead of us… the success of me as an individual referee isn't just down to me, it's down to everybody else in the team." 
Antonio Mateu Lahoz: "Nowadays, the most important thing is that we are healthy. We had the chance to go to Lisbon. We know that football gives us happiness and football is able to demonstrate our values. And for us to take part in it… I feel proud." 
Daniele Orsato: "It was fantastic. I had a fantastic experience. The Champions League final was my dream, and now it's a reality; it's no longer a dream." 
Björn Kuipers: "We have a family business… Let's say I had an agenda that was really full of obligations. And when coronavirus came, there was no football… there was only time for my family. And I saw I gave too little time in previous years to my children. Away from refereeing, I'm a businessman, and I should be more of a family man. So in the future, I will change this a little bit. I will be more a family man and less a businessman." 
Roberto Rosetti: "The results were clear for everyone… of course, we had some controversial situations - but we had no important mistakes. And in the end, no one really talked about the referees".

Watch episode 4

Watch episode 3

Watch episode 2

Watch episode 1

Source: UEFA