Mateu Lahoz retired because he was demoted in Spain

Former World Cup referee Mateu Lahoz has revealed the real reason he was forced to retire following 32 years of officiating. The Spanish official was infamous for his bold decision-making in matches, particularly when he was in charge of Argentina's World Cup match against the Netherlands last year. The 46-year-old produced a record 17 cards, which included a red for Denzel Dumfries after Argentina's penalty-shootout victory. Following the game, Messi led criticism against him which saw him sent home from the tournament before the semi-finals: “I don't want to speak about referees because after they will sanction you. But people saw what happened. I think FIFA must take care of this, it cannot put a referee like that for a match of such magnitude, of such importance. The referee cannot fail to be up to the task”.
Now, Mateu Lahoz has claimed he was 'demoted' as a referee and 'pushed' to retire by the Technical Committee for Referees (CTA) after he was given a guard of honour in his final game in La Liga last season. Recently he has appeared sporadically in the media but was asked if he ever thought about getting his boots back on. “Well… To dream? It’s always free. It’s true that I hadn’t even thought about it. Being surrounded by referees at the Marca Awards has awakened that excitement in me. I still wake up with that excitement of refereeing. I know it’s practically impossible. I have spent 32 years refereeing and today I would like to continue doing so, but in Spain. This country has given me absolutely everything and I don’t think I should go into exile.”
However, he was also honest about the fact that his ‘decision’ to retire was given some impetus by a push from the Technical Committee for Referees (CTA). “There has been a bit of controversy, but people have to understand that I was demoted. They demoted me, that is the truth. I would have continued on the pitch, but for the CTA I was one of the worst referees last season and that is why I am not on the green field”, admitted Mateu Lahoz.

Source: Marca