German Referees of the Year 2023: Brych and Derlin

The German referees of the year have been determined: Dr. Felix Brych is the "DFB Referee of the Year 2023" and Mirka Derlin the "DFB Women’s Referee of the Year 2023". The two referees were awarded their titles as part of the pre-season activities: Brych received the trophy in Herzogenaurach, while Derlin was delighted to receive her first award as DFB Referee of the Year at the DFB campus in Frankfurt.


Brych: "This is my sixth and most beautiful title"
Brych has been a DFB referee since 1999 and has overseen 336 Bundesliga games in his career so far. In addition, the referee from Munich is the sole record holder in the Champions League with the most appointments (85). He appeared in European and World Cup final tournaments as well as in several national and international finals and was named World Referee of the Year in 2016/2017. After 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2020, Felix Brych has now been honored as the best referee in Germany for the sixth time. "This is my sixth and most beautiful title as referee of the year, which means the most to me. I am very grateful that I can still be part of Bundesliga as referee. I would like to confirm this special appreciation in the new season through my performances.", said Felix Brych. Lutz-Michael Fröhlich, managing director of the DFB referees, says: "It is outstandingly exemplary with what conscientiousness and discipline Felix, even after his long and very successful career as an international referee, approaches his refereeing in the national area. The matches he refereed in the past season were consistently recognized as professional and at an absolute top level."

Derlin: "I'm super proud"
Mirka Derlin became a DFB referee in 2006 and officiated 94 games in the women's Bundesliga and 75 in the 2nd women's Bundesliga. The high point of the 38-year-old from Bad Schwartau was the 2021 DFB Cup final for women in Cologne, which she confidently refereed. Derlin ended her active career after the 2022/2023 season, but she is still a member of the support team of DFB referees. She has bid farewell during the Bundesliga referees' summer training camp last weekend - and at the same time was named Referee of the Year. A huge surprise. "After my emotional farewell as an active referee, to also be awarded Referee of the Year 2023 left me completely speechless. And that doesn't happen to me too often. I was just overwhelmed and I'm super proud. The award means a lot to me. I couldn't have wished for a nicer end to my 16 years as a referee at the DFB. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me along the way.", said Mirka Derlin. Christine Baitinger, sporting director of the DFB referees, adds: "Mirka is a great role model for all referees on and off the pitch. With her sovereign game management, she was one of our top referees for years and with her open nature she was also very popular with the clubs. But Mirka is also very valuable for refereeing outside of her own active work. The training and further education of young referees is very important to her. Due to the end of her active career, we will miss Mirka on the field very much. We know, however, that she will join us in the support team and pass on her great experience. That is exactly what distinguishes her."

Source: DFB