No longer referee in China, Mazic became Head of Referees in Cyprus

FIFA referee from 2009 to 2019, Milorad Mazic attended two World Cups (Brazil 2014 and Russia 2018) and Euro 2016 in France. In the last 3 years of his international career, Mazic reached his pinnacle by refereeing 3 finals: UEFA Super Cup 2017, FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 and UEFA Champions League 2018. At the beginning of 2019, Mazic was hired as a professional referee in China, where he became the first foreigner voted the best referee of the Chinese Super League. Mazic was not able to return to China this year, so he hung up his whistle and signed a 2-year contract as the new Head of Referees in Cyprus.
Early premonition. "My first game was in Titel, where I refereed a youth game in the inter-municipal league, and my debut at the senior level was the match between Sloga Lok and Napredak Nadalj in 1996. It ended 2-2, with Lok scoring an equalizing goal in the 86th minute. Don't laugh, I really remember every detail! No. 10 of Sloga approached me after the game saying 'Remember, one day you will referee in Champions League'. I replied 'You probably tell that to every referee.' I don't remember his last name, but I would like to find him now and thank him for the premonition”, said Mazic.
Vrbas. "Many top referees were born there. Glodjević, Beli Vujacic, Raka Djurovic, Radoman... I don't know what the secret is. Maybe it is the climate, fresh air, specific mentality... A little of everything. It is my city, I grew up there and I have no intention of moving. They often tell me, 'You're crazy, move to a bigger city,' but it doesn't apply to me. When this place was founded, the first families were named Mažić. I am proud of my roots, I feel great in my hometown and all my family plans are related exclusively to Vrbas. I have my own corner at the Cafe in Vrbas where I spend most of my free time. I sit with friends, order a coffee and discuss various topics. We can talk about anything and everything, but we don't watch matches together. I don't like that in society, because everyone knows everything and it's easier for me when I'm alone in front of the TV."
The Eternal Derby. "Red Star - Partizan has always been something special for me. No statements from the Eternal Rivals camp can spoil my pleasure. I always turned myself off and did not follow the news. I listened to the advice of the famous German referee Fandel, who also received a recommendation from the even more famous Helmut Krug. He told me to delete all applications from the phone and not to read any newspapers. If a colleague starts telling me what was written, I just turn my head and plug my ears. The derby has left a special mark on my career. Through these duels I have matured and gathered valuable experience. After one match in which the tribune was burning at the Red Star stadium, I refereed Barcelona in the Champions League. Busquets approached me in the tunnel and asked me if the war had started in Serbia. I told him that was normal with us. What else should I tell him? The pressure motivates me and that is why I don't care if the clubs issue any statements about me."
Bizzare red card. Niko Gaitan is the first player I showed a red card in a Champions League match. Benfica played against Galatasaray, they put some pressure on me to give the player of the Turkish club a yellow card, I showed it to him, and the other he got it for a clear foul because he prevented Galatasaray's counter-attack. I remember every detail. He then went to Atletico Madrid. An extremely good player, with a real southern temperament. Before Gaitan, I sent off Jovanovic, in a qualification match for the Champions League, AEL - Anderlecht. He got the first yellow card for unsporting conduct and the second for a bizarre reason. I do not have the right to enter into the decisions of the coach, but I think that he was unfairly replaced at that moment. He got into a verbal conflict with John van den Brom and there was almost a physical confrontation. He grabbed a bottle of water and threw it on the field out of rage. My hands were tied and I had to sanction such behavior with another yellow card. We had a conversation after the game and he accepted my explanation. I have no dilemma when I should show a card to a player of my nationality. The only player for whom you have to prepare yourself really good ahead of the game is Zlatan. It is not a problem if you anger the audience with your decision, the problem is if you turn Ibrahimovic against you. Well, that's not good."
Being unique. "It's not easy to be unique. I'm trying to figure out how to get that. If I have everything the same as my colleagues have, it's not enough. I'm striving for something that would set me apart from others, to offer something new. It could be movement or positioning; it's up to the UEFA and FIFA Referees Committees to assess. They probably saw something in me when they put so much trust in me." 
Love and jealousy. "We are empty without love. It cannot be measured and it is never enough. And yet it is a pre-requisite for everything. Jealousy is an integral part of life. I do not waste my energy on unnecessary conversations. I have Milovan and Dalibor, who are part of my success, friends for life. I started building an international career with Igor Radojčić and I can't forget his contribution. I also hang out with Djordje Žutić. I don't have much contact with others and I don't know if they are jealous. If they are, that's their problem, not mine."
Euro 2016. "The experience from the World Cup in Brazil helped us at Euro in France. We tried not to lose focus. We refereed Ireland - Sweden and Spain - Turkey in the group, then Hungary - Belgium in the Round of 16. We stayed in the competition until the end, for the finals. Our chances would have been much higher if Wales would had beaten Portugal in the semi-finals. Thus, the choice fell on Mark Clattenberg and it was a great decision. His career deserves a deep bow."
Confederations Cup 2017. “When FIFA announced the name of the final referee, there was a protest note from Chile and the South American Federation, who did not like the fact that both the referees and the VAR were from Europe, which gave us additional motivation to be up to the task, 'leading' the match. Chile was great until the final of a game full of charge and emotion. Neither I nor my assistants were the same after that game. It was the flywheel in our career. I want to say something else: a person who has done something, all his life tries to be nobody, and the one who has done nothing, all his life tries to be someone. This is the sentence that I use when I begin every lecture to younger colleagues at UEFA and FIFA seminars."
Cakir. “He is my great friend. A humble person, a man who has an extremely great career. Cakir referees in a country where it is terribly difficult to be a referee. We have two big clubs here, but they have ten there. In Turkey, football is perceived in a completely different way. It cannot be compared to any other environment. When you go there to referee, it doesn't matter if the host is Galatasaray, Fenerbahce or Besiktas, the fans make so much noise that any communication with colleagues is impossible. Cakir enjoys immense authority in such a league." 
Being the best. "Self-criticism is my virtue. For many years I have been analyzing my day, correcting mistakes, planning what I will do tomorrow. I can be strict with myself, even more than I should. People say that it is best to learn from your mistakes. I agree, but successful people learn even more from other people's mistakes. Bad decisions are welcome because they call for detailed analysis. But bad decisions from others are also very useful. I spend less energy when I learn from other people's mistakes. I don't accept the saying “it's important to participate”. The meaning of sports is to be the best. Even children don't play on the field just to play. They fight to win. That's the only way to become a champion. And champions are allowed everything and only they remain written in the history of football." 

Source: Mondo