Emotional farewell for referee Undiano at his last fitness test

Alberto Undiano Mallenco smiles after his last fitness tests as elite referee in Spain (or maybe not, we'll get to that). He received a 5-minute ovation for his long career in the First Division. At 45 years old and still active, he is a legend of the Spanish refereeing: nobody has refereed more matches than him in the First Division and, in fact, it is very difficult for someone to overcome him as the refereeing is organized right now. He has to leave, as dictated by the regulations, and a point of bitterness is inevitable. But he is also proud to leave his career on high: "I have a mixture of feelings, on the one hand I am happy to have reached the age limit to retire, 45 years old, with health, energy and even desire to continue, but it is clear that the regulation is like that, we must give room to the younger referees, which are very well prepared, which is why I mix sadness with the pride of having arrived here".
He started in the First Division at the age of 26 and has lived through everything, as he explained in Marca last year. Now he is in VAR territory as if it were a rookie: "The truth is that I feel privileged to have gotten to referee with VAR, even if it's only a year. See the sensations, know what to be in the field with a VAR behind you or sitting as a VAR... I do not know what my future will be in this, but of course I already know what this experience is, which is very interesting, If, 30 years ago, when I started, they would have told me that I would end up refereeing with VAR, I could not have believed it, it's a very positive and very rewarding experience”. Why could it not be his last season in the elite? The current Spanish Referees Committee (CTA), far from the prehistory defended by its former president, Victoriano Sanchez Arminio, is considering opening a hand regarding the retirement age of the referees, with the purpose of reinforcing the VAR with experience and adding the factor of less physical demand. It is, therefore, his last season on the field, but we will see if he can continue contributing in the VAR room. He does not pronounce himself, but he cannot avoid leaving that door open: "Well, it could be that. If they ask me to do so and I will be fine, well, why not? I know that there is a limit that, if it had not existed, I would not have left Primera Division so soon. I am very happy and aware that I leave it at a good time with health and giving way to my younger colleagues who come fast as motorcycles". An usual prize for the referees about to retire is Copa Del Rey final. Undiano is cautious. "Refereeing the cup final? Well, there are still three months left and we have to wait a long time. Of course it would be a fantastic and wonderful farewell if I had the option of doing it, and if another referee colleague does it, then nothing happens either: I would encourage him from home".
In the first seven months of VAR, Undiano Mallenco has realized how a phrase of his colleague Melero Lopez will undoubtedly be one of the most memorable of the season: "Well, I have not hesitated too much with the 'All ok, José Luis' The world of football does have these things, but nothing happens, it is clear that the VAR has been a real revolution for the world of football. The referees are very happy, it is something that has been very good for us and it's possible that within five years the VAR will have little to do with the way we are applying it now; there is a protocol that is what we are applying now and it is possible that it will change later. I am an old person, maybe I could be one of the most reticent, but I only say one thing: I wish I have had VAR for 20 years, to correct those four, five, six errors that all the referees have in their backpacks, and that have been hard for us, that made the career of many of us change and some had to stop being an elite referee because of that; if we had VAR they probably would not have happened". And so does Undiano. A legend among their own. Nobody has refereed more matches than him. He spent 19 years in Primera Division, the last of them with VAR. "I am a veteran, but relatively modern. In the beginning we all had our doubts whether we would change our refereeing a lot, but no, the way to referee on the field has not been so different", concludes Undiano Mallenco.

Source: RFEF, Marca