Schörgenhofer: Dispatcher by day, FIFA referee by night

More than 100 international football matches were led by FIFA referee Robert Schörgenhofer, who is a civil service officer at the Wolfurt freight depot in ÖBB. Most recently, he whistled the match Germany-Peru. The sympathetic Vorarlberger, born in 1973, always has the full overview on the rails and on the lawn. Robert Schörgenhofer started at the ÖBB in 1988 and has been the dispatcher since 1993. We interviewed our athletic colleague and asked him about both responsible jobs.
- What is your daily work routine?
- Together with my colleagues, I ensure a safe, smooth train service/shunting in the Wolfurt freight depot and the associated remote control of the routes at the Wolfurt Central Substation. Added to this is the customer information at the stations and stops on the route.
- Mr. Schörgenhofer, how did you get into football?
- I grew up next to a sports field and I preferred to spend every free minute on the football field since kindergarten. Later I played with the club FC Sulz, from juniors to the main team.
- What motivated you to become a referee?
- Certainly, it was a wrongly received red card. By the way, the only one in my footballing career. Since we had a referee who was totally overwhelmed, I thought to myself: I can do that better. And that was the beginning of my refereeing career.
- Tell us something about your work as a referee?
- A most interesting and exciting task! In addition, an outstanding personality training. Managerial skills are as much in demand as those of a conflict solver. It is actually the best school of life. I would immediately recommend this hobby to young people. A special addition are the international assignments. If you referee games of the best footballers in the world, then you can see that as a reward for all your effort.
- As a referee you are very much in the spotlight. What attracts you to this activity?
- Every game is different, so it never gets boring. The goal is to make as few mistakes as possible. Being free of mistakes is an impossible task, but the will to do it has something of its own. On top of that, you have to keep calm in difficult situations and not let the rush of players and spectators make you feel insecure.
- Which levels have you completed since then? National, international?
- Almost all. Starting with junior games and all levels in the local association. Since 1995 assistant referee in the Bundesliga, then from 2000 referee in the 2nd Bundesliga and since 2004 referee in the 1st Bundesliga. From 2007 as FIFA referee. Among others, I participated at the U-21 European Championship in Denmark 2011 and the U-20 World Cup in Colombia, also in 2011. In addition, countless international matches, Europa League matches and three Champions League games.
- For how many years?
- I passed my referee exam in March 1991.
- Which game did you referee most recently?
- Germany – Peru.
- What does ÖBB have in common with football?
- Both move the masses. The ÖBB also acts as a sponsor of the ÖFB.
- How do you bring together two such responsible functions - that of the dispatcher and the referee?
- At this time, I can only thank the colleagues! Short-term business interruptions are compensated by them. From work, one benefits from the other. In hectic exceptional situations, I am used to keeping calm and composed. This is a win-win situation for me.
- What experience in your referee career will remain unforgettable?
- For one, the England - Wales match at the Wembley Stadium. When 80,000 people sing "God save the queen", you will inevitably get goose bumps. But also the city derby in Cairo was unique. Five hours before the start of the match, the stadium was already full and no more spectators were admitted. Officially there were 90,000 spectators, unofficially sure some more in the stadium. Unbelievable how excited the Egyptians are in terms of football.
- What is the number of matches you refereed?
- I do not have statistics about it. In the 1st Bundesliga I am at almost 200, international at 100 games.
- What were your biggest and most important games?
- I already mentioned some. Amongst others, the first Champions League match at Chelsea, a Europa League match at Liverpool, an international match of England at the Wembley Stadium, a city derby in Cairo in front of 90,000 spectators and of course the U-20 World Cup in Colombia. That's just an excerpt - the list is much longer.
- Is there personal contact with Ronaldo and Co. before or after the games?
- No. You see the players 1.5 hours before the game, in the stadium, or at the latest when warming up.
- How do you charge your batteries? Is there a special powerhouse in your home country?
- Jogging is the best "medicine" for me, since I can switch off and get the head free. Positive side effect, it is also a training session.
- What makes a good dispatcher? And which of these qualities should a referee have?
- To keep calm and overview in case of incidents or extraordinary events. Do not rush into hustle and bustle. Be capable of multi-tasking. It is no different as a referee. A situation can trigger something that requires exactly these qualities.
- One more question at the end: in professional circles you are referred to as the top referee, No. 1 in Austria. How do you deal with that?
- I think I am still the same as years ago. It does not suit my nature to put myself on a pedestal or to brag about my games. Personally, I am proud of what I already achieved as a referee. But a lot of my ambition is owed here. There is no giving up for me!

Source: OBB