Undiano: “When I get a game, my eyes shine more brightly than 20 years ago”

It is almost impossible for a Spanish referee to beat Alberto Undiano Mallenco and his record of matches in the First Division, because, if nothing unusual happens, he will be around 350 in the season he has left before retirement. He made his debut in Primera Division at the age of 26 and remembers an incredible episode that happened to him once, when choosing the goal of the penalties before a Cup final between Real Madrid and Barcelona in Valencia: he tossed a coin in the air… when it fell, it broke! Neither heads, nor tail. He just could not believe it!
- You are the referee with the most matches in Primera, do you feel older?
- The truth is that there are already a few seasons since becoming a veteran and, yes, you see the new guys who arrive asking you for advice and consult you. I do not necessarily take it as a sign of being older. I was nervous too.
- Is a referee better at 44 than 26?
- As the years go by, one is gaining confidence in the field; that is evident. In addition, the players get to know you. I'm not saying that now it's easier for me than before, but I do remember the first years, when they saw me younger and they tried to protest, to influence... Now they respect me more and that makes it easier.
- They say that over the years you have calmed down, that when you arrived at Primera you had the reputation of being very strict. Now we can see more dialogue.
- I do not think it is softening. Many times, the way of acting on the field depends a lot on the players. If they know you more and respect you more, they protest less and you need to admonish less.
- How did you feel, at 26 years old, making your debut at Camp Nou?
- A long time ago. I remember that, at that time, they appointed us using a computer and anyone could go to any game. My second match was already a Barcelona – Racing and the fifth a Valencia – Real Madrid. And there you are, in the middle of all those players that you only saw on TV until then. It was strange, yes.
- In so many years it will have given you time to make friends with a player.
- Friendship is not the best word with the soccer players. It does not come to that. There is a relationship because we are all in the same boat. When the game ends we are normal people who greet each other, we recognize mistakes and nothing happens.
- Do you remember anyone in particular?
- From that time there are few. My first match was a Numancia – Oviedo and I remember Esteban, who was there. After that, we have seen each other many times. He had a great match.
- And how was it with Barça?
- Well, it was a shocking scenario. I thought to myself: "My mother, what do I do here if three days ago I was calling youth matches?" But once the match starts, you concentrate and it does not matter anymore. Barcelona won 3-1 against Racing.
- You do not have much time left as a referee. Are you ready to retire?
- Not yet. The years go by very quickly. It seems that it was yesterday that 10 September 2000, when I called my first match. Life happens very quickly. My former colleagues who have left refereeing in recent years advised me to enjoy it because time flies. It's going even faster and one day...
- Do you know what comes next?
- I do not know. I have a degree in Sociology and Political Science. I have dedicated an important part of my life to refereeing and training and, at times, I combined them. Then it became impossible when, in 2009, I started preparing for the World Cup in South Africa, so I had to leave my other activity. When I retire I do not know if I will resume my previous activity. I have to be honest and say that I see it difficult to live a life without football.
- There are several typical departures: commentators, ex-referees who sign for clubs... In what category do you see yourself?
- I do not know, I do not close any doors because sometimes you say "I will not drink this water", but then you drink it. But football is my passion. To comment on games you have to be worthy and know how to put yourself in front of a camera.
- I assume you do not feel like it very much.
- [Laughs] I do not know yet, really. But I do want to remain linked to refereeing. With training or whatever. I cannot imagine a life without football.
- Speaking about video refereeing, do you sometimes feel a little envious of your American football or rugby colleagues?
- It is true that you see how the stand is very respectful, the conversation is public ... That I can talk to my assistant if it is a penalty or not while watching the video is still an unknown. People would start to scream, to protest... That kind of process that exists in American football here is very complicated, but I do not close myself to anything. Football is the king sport, in 95% of the countries with equal rules always. Being that way in so many places, we are not going to touch it much either because maybe it's going to lose its essence.
- How is that?
- Look, there is another part that is the discussion. I have heard many times that, if there was not that referee controversy, what would we talk about in the cafeteria on Monday?
- Well, we do not know because we've never tried it. The same works.
- Okay, yes. And it would exist too. Although we have this possibility of video replay, there are situations in which we do not reach conclusions. In two images it seems penalty and in others not... The possible error would still exist.
- Would you like to be a referee spokesperson to defend them when they are blamed for their potential mistakes?
- I do not know if I want to be that figure, but at specific moments, in which great discussions are analyzed, yes. One of the main characteristics of the referee should be to go unnoticed.
- What do you not accept as a referee? What you cannot tolerate?
- I do not accept, for example, a situation of racism on the field. I stop the game and that's it. Or I even suspend it. If I hear the cry of the monkey, I stop it, there is no doubt.
- Is the issue of unconstitutional banners controllable?
- There are times you can see something, but during the game you cannot be looking at a banner from the top tier. There are referee observers and match delegates who watch over that.
- What is the most beautiful match that you refereed?
- As great memories, I will take the first game of the World Cup. It was Germany – Serbia (0-1). Now, if I could, I would choose two, a Boca – River and a Celtic – Rangers. According to my colleagues, those are very special. The majority of foreign referees, if you ask this question, would respond a classic Barça –Real Madrid. And I have had the luck to referee it several times!
- When a referee is approaching retirement usually they end-up saying what their favourite team is. How much do we have to wait until we find out which team is Alberto Undiano’s team?
- All the life, because I do not follow any team in particular. There was never a team that caught my attention. I really like all sports, not just football.
- A curiosity. Do you feel capable of refereeing a basketball game?
- Ufff! Basketball and handball seem very complicated because of all the contact that is there. They tell you that soccer is difficult because the field is huge and I think it's complicated. The physical effort is greater, but I think others are more difficult.
- Do you sleep well?
- Obviously, with so many matches, there were times when I slept poorly. Or nothing. After a game, it always costs me. When you have made some mistakes, it is even worse. Also, that became worse over the years. Many will think that you end up getting used to that, but it is the other way around, every time I am more affected to be wrong. I do not know if it is pride, but it stings me more, but then I see the play on TV and I think: "Why have I not seen it?" I watch many replays and I have a hard time.
- Have you identified those errors? If you had a time machine and could fix some of them, what would you fix?
- Yes, I have some. I prefer not to speak about that while I am active. But it happens to me that, when I return to that field, I am thinking that this time I need to get everything right to get rid of my previous memory. When mistakes are in important plays, it is very bad.
- What do you do when you do not referee?
- I have time for everything and enjoy my two young children, whom I try to dedicate many hours, homework, extracurricular activities... I try to give my family everything I cannot do when I am away, which are many days. In the mornings, when they are in school and my wife is working, it is when I try to prepare myself for the games, either physically or in other ways. The afternoons are for them.
- Does it frighten you that your children now that Javier is already major and stands out in his class, that he hears some outrageous words against his father in school?
- Yes, a little bit. The children are children and sometimes at school they say things, but I have not had the experience that any of them came crying home. The older one is not a football fan, he does not like it. The little one a likes it, but he knows how to defend himself well without problems. For the son of a referee it is the same as for a player's son: they will tell him that his father missed a penalty or whatever.
- Are they critical of you? Do they remind you of a mistake?
- The oldest is totally against football. He relates it to the fact that his father is away from home and does not like it. He asks me about my trips, about the hotels, but I think he has not seen five minutes of a game in his life. The little one does see the plays and sometimes tries to bite me a bit: "What a handball you have missed!" Normal, at 10 years old. When someone in the street says something bad about his father, he takes out his nails and defends himself.
- And Maria, your wife?
- Yes, she likes sports a lot. A referee needs the understanding of his family with respect to the amount of hours that I have to dedicate, the trips... I was not present at the birth of any of my two children because I had to referee.
- How was that?
- When my first child was born, I was refereeing at a Euro U-19 tournament in Ireland. The second… I was in Zaragoza and it was all so fast that even if I had come back running it would have arrived. You do not control when things get ahead or something like that. One fell was late and the other early.
- Is the level of refereeing higher than when you started?
- The referees are now better than 10 years ago. Today we are athletes. The guys who go up have some great opportunities and 20 years of difference are noticed. But I also take care of myself now and I have no problem. The motivation is to try not to leave myself behind those boys of 20 years younger.
- What keeps you going? I do not think you want to retire.
- Every day I am more excited. My wife tells me that when I get a game now, my eyes shine more brightly than 20 years ago and it is true. The Spanish league is amazing. When you are appointed to an important match, it shows that they trust you and it is beautiful. Being part of this season's story is very motivating. I still have butterflies in my stomach before I go out onto the field.